Thursday, December 3, 2009

Feelin' Hot, Hot, Hot!

No, my post title doesn’t refer to the weather… unfortunately :( I am desperate for summer to hurry up and kick in properly – enough of these cold winds and overcast days! I’m longing for the really hot 31 Degrees Celsius days – like this weekend hopefully! (If the weatherman is to be trusted that is – and our history together leads to me to be sceptical of his predictions…)

OK, so technically most people would call today “warm” or “nice” – but these, “most” people are also blessed with the ability NOT to feel EVERY TINY LITTLE bit of coldness. I, however, was born without this ability. I feel the cold. Like, REALLY FEEL. Comes from being quite skinny and having very, very poor circulation I guess (example no 1: the three heaters + bed socks + doonas my parents used to put in my room when I was little kid during winter to keep me warm. Did it stop me from contracting chilblains? No siree!!)

But, I’m getting distracted…

The post title. It refers instead to ginger tea. Hot ginger tea. Now, I love ginger tea, sweetened with a little fake honey, it’s the perfect way to wind down an evening, settle the digestion etc etc… So this is what I did on my Tuesday night, curled on the couch with the BF, reading my book. I had the freshly, piping hot brewed tea in my massive, special mug, I went to take a sip and…

… Missed.

Yes, folks, I missed my mouth.

An 18 year old girl that cannot even perform the simple task of drinking. Incredible, no?

So basically, I spilled scalding hot water all over my stomach and hips. I quite literally screamed and jolted off the couch like I had been electrocuted. The pain was AWFUL!!! I don’t know if you’ve ever been burnt but… IT HURTS A LOT!!!

Thank God for my sweet BF is all I can say. He managed to grab me and calm down my shocked tears. Then he lay me down and I spent the remainder of my night with an icepack on my stomach to cool down the skin. Can I add it was a cold night and having ice rubbed across your stomach can be oh so slightly unpleasant when you’re already pretty damn chilly… >_<

Thankfully, last night was a much better night spent at the parentals house with my siblings and their partners. The one thing that all people claim after spending a night at my parents house is, “You’re parents always get me drunk!!!” Yep, last night was no exception! :)

I admit that I might have overindulged a little bit, not only on the wine and champagne front, but also in my food consumption… But nothing beats my Mum’s cooking, so how could I resist? We were greeted with freshly warmed bread and a big bowel of homemade hummus which I promptly dived into and made a substantial dent in.

There were several glasses of champagne consumed around the bar (yep, my parents have a – well-stocked – bar in their house – and they know how to use it too My Dad displayed his bartending skills last night by whipping up Tequila Sunrises!) as we ploughed our way through the snacks.

As well as hummus there was homemade French Onion dip, rice crackers, carrot sticks, dukka and olive oil to dip bread in, thinly sliced cheese and stuffed olives – does my Mum know how to put on a spread or what?? OK, so I couldn’t have all of it… but the amount of hummus and bread I consumed I don’t think I needed anything else…

Next we progressed to the dining table for cold meats and salads, our light, refreshing main meal. Oh, yes, and a few bottles of Sauvignon Blanc to go with the food of course ;) My Mum even did up a platter of vegan “fake” meats for me :) The salads were freshly roasted, home-grown beetroot mixed with spinach and rocket leaves and drizzled with spiced, Greek yogurt (I admit it, I had some… I'm such a bad vegan... >.<), a salad of tomatoes, fresh avocado, cucumber and balsamic dressing and a spiced, roast potato salad. Yep, I ended up eating faaarrrrr too much…

Only… that didn’t stop me from being a bad vegan again and indulging in an icecream on the way home >_<

I am amazed I have any appetite at all today… But thus is my fast metabolism…

Oooh, I’m really excited about tomorrow too! I’m going to the Green Day concert with my sister and the BF – should be awesome!! Kinda terrified about the moshing situation however… I’m pretty sure that I will get trampled to death (considering I’m so tiny and weak that I can never even open my water bottles half the time… those twist-tops are damn hard!!)

The weekend ahead is fairly quiet though – no hard partying is on the agenda (due to budget constraints… >_<), but a big family get-together on the Sunday, which should be fun. That is, if my tiny, annoying little cousins decide to behave themselves and not run around screaming and hitting people at random…

Wishful thinking…

Hope you have a great Thursday!

Ciao for now!

xoxoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment